Here are the steps to follow that should resolve this issue:
- Save these steps somewhere safe and close Chrome.
- Click the “Preferences” icon in your Mac’s menu bar and select “Profiles”.
- Select all “AdminPrefs” profile(s) and delete it/them by clicking the minus (-) icon at the bottom.
Once you’ve removed the unwanted “adminprefs” profile(s), you should be able to follow these steps:
- Open the Terminal app (Go > Utilities > Terminal or press Command+Space and search Terminal)
- Enter the commands below and hit the Enter key after each one:
- defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false
- defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/”
- defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/”
- defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL
- defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL
- defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName
Now restart Chrome and the issue should be resolved. If not, you may need to restart your Mac.