It is critical that good engineers understand how JAVA JVM works and manages memory. In many applications, one must tune the JVM parameters to the need of application for performance and optimize memory usage.
Reference on Java Performance Turning, JVM, Garbage Collection, Memory Management
- http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/java/gc01/index.html – this is a very good article on overview of GC
- Java Virtual Machine Specification
- Java Garbage Collection Basics – Java Memory Management by Sun/Oracle
- Java Virtual Machine Specification –http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se8/html/index.html
- Java GC Tuning Oracle Documentation
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Java HotSpot VM
- Java Tuning White paper
- Oracle Articles on Java Technology
- Java Platform, Standard Edition HotSpot Virtual Machine Garbage Collection Tuning Guide
- Java SE 6 HotSpot[tm] Virtual Machine Garbage Collection Tuning
- How computer memory works? – this is a good read on different computer memory.